Monday, May 2, 2011

Finished Braid

By: QUIK

Not a proper review. I was just curious, at what point did we have to turn 2D side scrolling platformers into artsy fartsy, sad little art games? Honestly, when I want art I go to a gallery. In my side scrolling platformers I want fun, craziness and challenge. I said it before and I’ll say it again, don’t try to reinvent the wheel people, instead make more games like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Land. Why? BECAUSE PEOPLE WHO GREW UP WITH THOSE GAMES WANT MORE GAMES JUST LIKE THEM!!! I don’t want some BS story in the back of my platformer about some dude being too controlling with his girlfriend or how an atomic bomb is bad. Seriously… wtf? Fun game, good game mechanics, more of a puzzle game then a platformer but all this BS inserted in there just annoyed me at the end. I had to look up an explanation to get wtf kind of ending was that… and no I shouldn’t have gotten it on my own. If I want to spend an evening pondering the nature of my existance I do not put on a freaking video game. I finished Super Mario Land on 100%. I was rewarded with a good feeling about defeating Bowzer and saving Princess Peach. When I beat Donkey Kong Country I went into my banana cave and they were all back in there and Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong clapped for me and all was well and good in the world again. It was magical, fun and innocent. I want a side scrolling platformer like that again. I guess the only way for a gamer to get a fix of games like that is to buy Nintendo hardware to get games like Paper Mario and New Donkey Kong Country but it’s still sad that that genre of games is not available commercially anywhere else. Most of the time I have to settle for often very crappy Xbox Live Arcade titles (that most Nes and SNes games put to shame) or just roll out my emulators and beat my good old classic titles again. Ugh… I’m really annoyed right now, I think I’ll play some DKC to chill out before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment