Friday, December 2, 2011

The Adventures of Tintin: The Game

Honest review by: QUIK

The-Adventures-of-Tintin

Ubisoft has made a game that could be advertised as “your first platformer game”. The level designs smoothly transition between TPP levels and side-scrolling platformer gameplay as well as nicely designed vehicle missions (flying a plane, riding a motorcycle). The music and the level design is very nice, something you would definitely enjoy playing with your whole family. The only problem is – the game is far too easy and hence a bit boring at times.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge side-scrolling platformer fanboy. I would even go as far as to say that it is my favorite game genre of all time. When it comes to that type of game I feel like a man in the desert dying of thirst and I desperately reach out for any drop of water I can find. At first glance The Adventures of Tintin seems like a tall, icy, refreshing glass of mineral water. The first couple of levels made me think: “Yes, this is a bit easy but I’m sure it’s just a sort-of tutorial and it will become more challenging, this is what I’ve been waiting for!”. Unfortunately, it never gets more challenging and you realize you’re drinking a glass of ice water mixed with a pound of sugar. For a second you feel your thirst quenched but immediately after you finishing drinking you feel more thirsty then before.

As I have mentioned before though, I feel this is a perfect title to introduce your kids to a platformer genre of video games if they’ve never played one. It’s easy enough for them not to get frustrated and fun enough to leave them wanting more. Just make sure the next title you make them play is Donkey Kong Country.

I also was going to complain about the length of the game. After finishing the main story line I felt like it was a bit too short but then I tried the really fun co-op mode. Brand new levels with an option to play with a friend (or solo). It’s like a whole other game but with a lot more things to collect for all you completionists out there.

Do I recommend The Adventures of Tintin: The Game? Yes. If you can get it for $15 or less and if you have a kid you’ll play this game with. Definitely made me want to check out the comic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment